Smith Vocational and Agricultural High School
80 Locust Street
NORTHAMPTON, MA 01060
High School Agricultural and Career Technical Education
|Salary Range:||Location:||NORTHAMPTON, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Part Time||CNA/RN/Medical|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Preference: Nice to have
Experience in school health or pediatric/adolescent/community health - Preference: Nice to have|
|Overview of the Position:|
The Assistant/Per Diem School Nurse is responsible for assisting, supporting, and collaborating with the School Nurse in the provision of health services to students and staff at Smith Vocational and Agricultural High School. He or she will also perform all relevant duties in the health office in the absence of the School Nurse. This will be an 82 day, non-benefited, school year position. The average workweek will be two days, as scheduled in collaboration with the school nurse and high school principal, but this will be flexible in order to accommodate the needs of the health office. Additional days at the per diem rate may be available pending funding. Any subsequent per diem days needed beyond these two categories must be approved in advance by the principal or superintendent and will be paid at the per diem rate.
The Assistant/Per Diem School Nurse works under the direction and supervision of the School Nurse, and falls under the responsibility of the high school principal. The Assistant/Per Diem School Nurse performs nursing duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Massachusetts General Laws, Department of Public Health Regulations, and the Board of Registration of Nursing.
• Provides direct nursing services to students and school staff including assessment, first aid, illness care, medication administration, and any other nursing care needed.
• Triages and provides emergency care in case of sudden illness or injury.
• Communicates with the School Nurse regarding identified student needs.
• Assists in the compilation of data for DPH and other state or grant reporting.
• Covers the Health Office in the absence of the School Nurse and performs all relevant duties.
• Performs clerical and organizational functions as needed.
• Maintains current knowledge in the pertinent areas of nursing practice through continuing education.
• Assists the School Nurse in performing state-mandated screenings such as postural screening, vision and hearing, and SBIRT.
• Collaborates and communicates with other staff, parents, and outside community agencies and providers to optimize health services to the school community.
• Performs other relevant work-related activities as required, as the situation dictates, or as the school nurse assigns.
• Work collaboratively with school administrators, school nurse, and school staff to maintain the mission of the school and maintaining progress in reaching the school's improvement plan goals.
• Additional administrative duties as may be assigned by the Smith Vocational and Agricultural High School Administration.
|Recommended Minimum Qualifications:|
• Associates Degree in Nursing
• Current, active license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts
• CPR and First Aid Certification
• Bachelors Degree in Nursing
• Experience in school health or pediatric/adolescent/community health
Required Physical Activity
• Handling and Moving Objects - Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, moving materials, manipulating objects, working at a computer station, and sitting for extended periods of time
• The ability to wear PPE including N95 mask, face shield/goggles, and other PPE as required by state and local Boards of Health, for extended periods of time
• While performing the duties of this job, the nurse is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear.
• The nurse is regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel.
• The nurse is occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
• Must have sufficient mobility to navigate within a large school campus
Hiring is contingent upon successful CORI and SORI (Fingerprint Background Check) clearance