Media Education Foundation
60 Masonic St.
NORTHAMPTON, MA 01060
Media Education Foundation produces and distributes documentary films and other educational resources to inspire critical thinking about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.
|Salary Range:||Location:||To Commensurate With Experience||NORTHAMPTON, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Accounting/Finance/Auditing|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Bookkeeping - Preference: Preferred|
|The Media Education Foundation (MEF), a nonprofit organization that produces and distributes documentary films about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media, is seeking a talented, full-time Financial Coordinator. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented, computer-savvy bookkeeping whiz, who works well independently as well as with a team. If bookkeeping and details are your thing and you would like to work for a progressive nonprofit organization, check out the job responsibilities and desired skills for our Financial Coordinator position.|
Responsibilities & Duties
The Financial Coordinator primarily:
* Keeps records of invoices and tax payments.
* Identifies and addresses account discrepancies.
* Monitors overdue payments and sends account statements.
* Reconciles bank, credit card, and investment accounts on a monthly basis.
* Maintains financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
* Develops new systems and practices when needed.
* Is responsible for all bookkeeping functions.
* Assists with payroll functions as needed.
* Develops and maintains timely and accurate financial statements and reports for executive staff and outside audit agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
* Ensures that bills are entered and paid on a timely basis.
* Assists with calculating and processing royalty payments on a quarterly basis.
* Enters sales invoices as needed.
* Performs all other bookkeeping functions as needed.
In addition, the Financial Coordinator is responsible for:
* All bookkeeping functions including A/P, A/R, budgeting, monthly bank reconciliations, quarterly financial statements, and financial reporting.
* Documenting and maintaining complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
* Executing month-end close process with monthly variance reporting.
* Assisting with cash flow report and preparing cash flow forecasts.
* Ensuring compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
* Ensuring that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including: charitable status; withholding payments; income tax; and local/state taxes.
* Assisting with the annual audit process and coordinating with external auditors to prepare annual 990 charitable tax return in a timely manner.
* Implementing policies and procedures to ensure that financial information is stored securely and according to best practices.
* Ensuring that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of appropriately.
* Maintaining professional relationships with vendors, and financial service providers, auditor, and bankers.
* Assisting with recording donations and donor acknowledgement.
* Maintaining vendor records and assist with maintaining customer/client/donor records.
* Producing and distributing 1099s and ensuring compliance with tax requirements.
* Performing other duties as required.
* Associate’s degree in Accounting or a related field. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
* Mastery of Microsoft Excel.
* Excellent computer skills and confidence in learning new applications.
* Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Positive attitude and enthusiasm for working within a small team.
* Open to new ideas and influences and quick to react to changing requirements.
* Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
* Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and organize, prioritize, manage, and implement assignments.
* Familiarity with and support of MEF’s general mission is essential.
* Demonstrated bookkeeping experience.
* Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development.
* Ability to see beyond the numbers, analyzing trends, and identifying new possibilities.
* Familiarity with accounting for small businesses.
* Mastery of Quickbooks.
Prior bookkeeping and financial experience is preferred, but we are willing to train the right person. If you are detailed-oriented, have a strong work ethic and a can-do attitude, and if the idea of working with a small, progressive team appeals to you, please consider applying for this position.