DIAL/SELF Youth & Community Services
196 Federal Street
Greenfield, MA 01060
|Salary Range:||Location:||Holyoke MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Education/Training|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Preference: Nice to have
|DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Member - service // education // arts|
Are you passionate about youth empowerment, education, the arts and social justice?
Join the DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Team!
For 10 months, DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps members serve full-time to create positive youth development opportunities in schools and local agencies throughout the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. AmeriCorps members use a collaborative, student-centered approach to support young people’s autonomy, belonging and personal learning aspirations. They use creative and experiential learning activities to create spaces where youth can develop meaningful goals, drive their own solutions, make decisions, fail, learn and grow.
The DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Program (DSAP) has 3 core elements:
1) On-site youth work at a local school or nonprofit.
2) Team service project in collaboration with youth and community.
3) Weekly training and reflection to build youth work skills and increase knowledge of different learning styles, social justice issues, arts integration, motivational interviewing, asset-based community development, group dynamics and facilitation.
The Education Success Member at Gandara Youth Development Center will:
* Identify, implement and support strategies with youth/Staff to increase a youth’s engagement and success in meeting his/her education needs/goals. This will be implemented through education support, computer and media arts activities that will increase a youth’s sense of Self Efficacy and lead to increased vision of the future. Youth will be supported in the Education Support room, After-School Program and a Community Resource Program.
* Select/develop activities that support youth engagement in education
* Provide 1:1 and small group mentoring and tutoring to youth
* Participate in on and off-site youth leadership development activities
* Work with youth to identify goals and strategies that will increase youth success in school, including measurable goals and timelines
* Participate in data tracking and written documentation of youth’s activities and results as required.
* Participate in all of Gandara/AFS and specific program orientation/training activities as required.
21 years old
At least 6 months of experience working with youth
Reliable, positive attitude and work ethic
Demonstrated positive verbal and writing skills
Curious about the benefits??DSAP members…
* Earn a compensation package of up to $20,295, including personal/sick days. Package includes a $14,200 Stipend and a $6,095 Education Award after successful completion of service. The Education Award can be used to pay for pre-existing student loans or future education costs.
* Receive free health care and child care assistance, for eligible members.
* Gain practical experience and build leadership skills that transfer across careers and vocations, particularly those related to education, youth work, the arts, social justice, nonprofits, social work, and community building.
* Make connections that lead to future opportunities in this region and beyond.
* Participate in a supportive learning community that challenges members to build on their strengths and put their values into practice.
Members must be at least 18 years old, a US citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident, and have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalency. Youth work experience is recommended, but not required. Some work history is necessary. Because part of the region is rural, it is highly beneficial to have a driver’s license with access to reliable transportation. AmeriCorps celebrates diversity, is intentionally inclusive, and protects against discrimination on the basis of color, race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, or disability. Reasonable accommodations can be made for interviews and service.
Please note the next application deadline is April 15th, 2019. Applicants who apply by that date will have more options and a higher chance of being matched with the program.
The program begins August 2019 and continues through June 2020.
For more information or to apply, please visit: http://www.dialself.org/americorps.html