Barre Center for Buddhist Studies
149 Lockwood Rd
BARRE, MA 01005
|Salary Range:||Location:||Per Year||BARRE, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Maintenance|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Preference: Nice to have
Carpentry, plumbing, electrical - Preference: Nice to have|
|The Center Caretaker at BCBS is responsible for the overall care and maintenance of the land and buildings belonging to the study center. The Caretaker is an energetic, multi-talented handyperson who maintains the property and is responsible for the efficient functioning of our mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems. Our 30-bed education and retreat center consists of two main buildings plus eight cottages on 90 wooded acres in central Massachusetts. The position reports to the Executive Director.|
• Plan and coordinate all system installations and repairs, and monitor performance
• Manage the upkeep of equipment and supplies to meet health and safety standards
• Inspect all structures to determine need for repairs or renovations
• Review energy and water consumption and strive to minimize costs
• Perform and manage lawncare, landscaping, tree trimming, septic system maintenance, sanding and snow removal
• Oversee and supervise volunteers and contractors
• Develop and manage effective relationships with vendors and town officials
• Oversee activities like parking, construction, waste disposal, building security, etc.
• Respond to student needs such as flat tires, battery charging, etc.
• On call to respond to facilities-related emergencies and fire alarms
• Work closely with Executive Director on facility planning and budgeting
• Assist with other duties as needed to support all BCBS operations
• Treat everyone with kindness, patience, and respect in every interaction
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package with onsite housing and meals.
BCBS is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from historically marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
|• 3+ years’ experience as property caretaker or relevant position|
• Working knowledge of electrical, mechanical, HVAC systems, carpentry, painting, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to work both as part of a team and independently
• Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
• Solid work ethic with excellent project management skills
• Sense of humor, flexibility, and willingness to perform a wide variety of tasks
• Commitment to maintaining a warm, welcoming environment for all
• A sincere interest in contemplative practice and study, and in actively contributing to a collaborative, collegial work environment
• Requires heavy physical work including snow removal as well as sometimes lifting objects of 50 pounds or more