Media Education Foundation
60 Masonic St.
NORTHAMPTON, MA 01060
Media Education Foundation produces and distributes documentary films and other educational resources to inspire critical thinking about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.
|Salary Range:||Location:||$50,000+ Per Year||NORTHAMPTON, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Accounting/Finance/Auditing|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Accounting & Bookkeeping - Preference: Required|
|The Media Education Foundation (MEF), a nonprofit organization that produces and distributes documentary films about the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media, is seeking a talented, full-time Financial Administrator. We are looking for an organized, detail-oriented, computer-savvy finance whiz, who works well independently as well as with a team. If finance is your thing and you would like to work for a progressive nonprofit organization, check out the job responsibilities and desired skills for our Financial Administrator position.|
Responsibilities and Duties:
* Full responsibility for all accounting functions including A/P, A/R, budgeting, monthly bank reconciliations, quarterly financial statements and financial reporting. The financial administrator:
* Keeps records of invoices and tax payments.
* Identifies and addresses account discrepancies.
* Monitors overdue payments and sends account statements.
* Reconciles bank, credit card, and investment accounts on a monthly basis.
* Maintains financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash.
* Develops new systems and practices when needed.
* Is responsible for all bookkeeping functions.
* Oversees all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
* Administers insurance, disability, wellness, and other benefits.
* Develops and maintains timely and accurate financial statements and reports for executive staff and outside audit agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
* Ensures that bills are entered and paid on a timely basis.
* Calculates and processes royalty payments on a quarterly basis.
* Enters sales invoices as needed.
* Performs all other accounting functions as needed.
* Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
* Develop and implement month-end close process with monthly variance reporting.
* Manage cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts.
* Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
* Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including: charitable status; withholding payments; income tax; and local/state taxes.
* Lead the annual audit process and coordinate with external auditors to prepare annual 990 charitable tax return in a timely manner.
* Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is stored securely and according to best practices.
* Ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of appropriately.
* Maintain professional relationships with vendors, and financial service providers, auditor, and bankers.
* Maintain vendor records and assist with maintaining customer/client/donor records.
* Produce and distribute 1099s and ensure compliance with tax requirements.
* Perform other duties as required.
|Candidates must have the following experience or capabilities:|
* Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting.
* Strategic planning experience with the ability to define, set, and execute short-term and long-term objectives.
* Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development.
* Success seeing beyond the numbers, analyzing trends, and identifying new possibilities.
* Ability to multitask, while maintaining an attention to detail.
* Bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance, or equivalent experience.
* Familiarity with accounting for small businesses.
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills. Work well with, and demonstrate respect for, colleagues at all levels and consistently contribute to a positive work environment.
* Mastery of Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel.
* Excellent computer skills and confidence in learning new applications.
* Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
* Open to new ideas and influences and quick to react to changing requirements.
* Ability to translate financial concepts and effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
* Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and organize, prioritize, manage, and implement assignments.
* Familiarity with and support of MEF’s general mission is essential.
The Media Education Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome candidates whose background may contribute to the further diversification of our organization.