Hampshire Regional YMCA
286 Prospect St
Northampton, MA 01060
|Salary Range:||Location:||HUNTINGTON MA|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|Some College Coursework Completed|
Preference: Nice to have
Preference: Nice to have
|General Summary: To further the mission of the camp through effective oversight and support of the Explorers Unit. Manage and develop counselor staff to provide a camp experience that meets intended camp outcomes (Belonging, Achievement, Relationships). Ensure that counselors understand and employ safety guidelines, proper supervision techniques, and youth development practices. Provide support for counselors around camper behavior management. Assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the camp director.|
Essential Functions/ Job Duties:
1. Supervise counselors in the Explorers Unit to ensure delivery of a safe, fun camp program that meets intended camp outcomes.
• Observe staff behavior and interactions with campers and implementation of program.
• Provide clear, direct feedback that helps counselors develop an understanding of safety standards, proper supervision techniques, and youth development principles.
• Provide mid-summer and end of summer evaluations for counselors in the Explorers Unit.
• Run weekly feedback meetings for Explorers Unit counselors to ask questions and express concerns with camp program and processes. The intention of these meetings is to receive the counselors’ perspective in order to continuously improve the camp experience for all.
2. Provide support for counselors regarding camper behavior management in cases where the counselors are struggling to handle the behaviors.
• Remain present and available to counselors for assistance with behavior management.
• Provide feedback for counselors regarding how they can best manage behavior issues.
• Reach out to family members in order to design strategies for advanced behavior management and to keep care givers informed about behavior management issues at camp.
3. Run unit activities and Explorers family night, and participate in small group activities in order to enhance camp program and create strong relationships with each camper in the Explorers Unit.
4. Assist Camp Director in creating strong camper groups and counselor pairings.
5. Manage parent letters and camper birthday postcards.
• Help counselors with formatting and writing of effective birthday postcards and parent letters.
• Proof read and support counselors in creating professional and well-written letters to parents.
• Work with business coordinator and CIT director to organize birthday postcards and prep parent letter mailing to all camp parents.
• Experience as camp counselor at a similar camp program.
• Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar program.
• Experience leading peers and providing direct developmental feedback.
• Comfort leading large groups and performing in front of large groups.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Ability to focus and remain effective in a busy environment.
• Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
*We require all applicants to submit an application. Please email to request an application.