Hampshire Regional YMCA
286 Prospect St
Northampton, MA 01060
|Salary Range:||Location:||HUNTINGTON MA|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|Some College Coursework Completed|
Preference: Nice to have
Preference: Nice to have
|General Summary: To further the mission of the camp through effective oversight of waterfront safety procedures, program planning and delivery, and equipment maintenance. Manage swim instruction by enabling counselors to teach effective swim lessons that meet intended camp outcomes (Belonging, Achievement, Relationships). Assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the camp director.|
Essential Functions/ Job Duties:
1. Supervise lifeguards and swim instruction staff to deliver a fun and safe waterfront program to campers that fosters relationships and inspires high achievement.
• Support counselors by preparing swim lesson plans that meet intended camp outcomes and the abilities of the campers.
• Regularly monitor, evaluate and provide direct feedback on program delivery abilities of staff at the waterfront.
• Manage staff and camper swim tests under the direction of the camp director.
• Accurately track and record staff and camper swim levels for free-swim and swim lessons to ensure safe programming for all participants.
2. Manage staffing, programming and procedures at the waterfront.
• Coordinate lifeguard crew to oversee a safe waterfront area.
• Provide clear and direct feedback to lifeguards to ensure best practices and a safe, fun waterfront area.
• Coordinate swim lesson instructors by planning which counselors will teach each swim level and providing instructors with clear and executable lesson plans.
• Assist Program Director in the supervision of the boating specialist in order to ensure a safe and instructional boating program.
• Assist in constantly improving and managing lost bather procedure at direction of camp director.
3. Keep waterfront area clean, safe and free of debris.
• Along with waterfront staff, keep boathouse safe, clean and organized.
• Along with lifeguard staff, keep beachfront area clean and free of debris.
• Complete and record daily integrity checks of waterfront safety equipment and advise camp director on purchasing needs.
4. Assist with management of camp discipline at the direction of the camp director
5. Maintain authority of waterfront safety decisions over all other people at camp.
• Must have a current lifeguard certification from the YMCA or American Red Cross.
• Experience in waterfront lifeguard and swim instructor roles.
• Experience in the development and delivery of waterfront programs and activities for a similar camp.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Ability to focus and remain effective in a busy environment.
• Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
*We require all applicants to submit an application. Please email to request an application.