Hampshire Regional YMCA
286 Prospect St
Northampton, MA 01060
|Salary Range:||Location:||HUNTINGTON MA|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|Some College Coursework Completed|
Preference: Nice to have
Preference: Nice to have
|General Summary: To further the mission of the camp through effective oversight and support of the Trailblazers Unit and design and implementation of an effective Counselor in Training (CIT) program. Manage and develop counselor staff and group of CITs who provide a camp experience that meets intended camp outcomes (Belonging, Achievement, Relationships). Ensure that counselors and CITs understand and employ safety guidelines, proper supervision techniques, and youth development practices. Provide support for counselors around camper behavior management. Assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the camp director.|
Essential Functions/ Job Duties:
1. Design and implement an effective CIT program that helps older campers develop the skills and knowledge required to be an effective camp counselor.
• Work with Camp Director to design an effective week-long CIT training at the start of each 4-week CIT session.
• Work directly with CITs during CIT training weeks to reach desired CIT program outcomes.
• Coordinate CIT schedules during final three weeks of CIT sessions.
• Observe CITs working directly with campers and provide feedback and facilitate daily reflection opportunities.
• Provide oversight for daily CIT duties outside of counselor training, including snack preparation, trash pick-up, and organization of camper birthday postcards and parent letters.
• Develop CIT loyalty and dedication to the camp program as well as a deep understanding of camp philosophies.
2. Supervise counselors in the Trailblazers Unit to ensure delivery of a safe, fun camp program that meets intended camp outcomes.
• Observe staff behavior and interactions with campers and implementation of program.
• Provide clear, direct feedback that helps counselors develop an understanding of safety standards, proper supervision techniques, and youth development principles.
• Provide mid-summer and end of summer evaluations for counselors in the Trailblazers Unit.
• Run weekly feedback meetings for Trailblazers Unit counselors to ask questions and express concerns with camp program and processes. The intention of these meetings is to receive the counselors’ perspective in order to continuously improve the camp experience for all.
• Accompany Trailblazers Unit on any off-site trips.
3. Provide support for counselors regarding camper behavior management in cases where the counselors are struggling to handle the behaviors.
• Remain present and available to counselors for assistance with behavior management.
• Provide feedback for counselors regarding how they can best manage behavior issues.
• Reach out to family members in order to design strategies for advanced behavior management and to keep care givers informed about behavior management issues at camp.
4. Participate in and enhance camp program for Trailblazers Unit.
• Participate in camper group activities in order to enhance camp program and create strong relationships with each camper in the Trailblazers Unit.
• Run unit activities on a weekly basis.
• Run Trailblazers and CIT evening programs and overnights.
5. Manage parent letters and camper birthday postcards.
• Help counselors with formatting and writing of effective birthday postcards and parent letters.
• Proof read and support counselors in creating professional and well-written letters to parents.
• Work with Business Coordinator and other Unit Heads to organize birthday postcards and prep parent letter mailing to all camp parents.
• Experience as camp counselor at a similar camp program.
• Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar program.
• Experience leading peers and providing direct developmental feedback.
• Comfort leading large groups and performing in front of large groups.
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Ability to focus, multi-task and remain effective in a busy environment.
• Must submit health history record and examination form prior to first day of work.
*We require all applicants to submit an application. Please email to request an application.